Feike Sijbesma (Dutch, 1959) studied medical (molecular) biology at the University of Utrecht and business administration at Erasmus University in Rotterdam.
In 1987, he joined the Industrial Pharmaceuticals division of Gist-brocades, where he was responsible for strategic planning and business development. From 1990 to 1993, he was appointed the division’s Marketing and Sales Director. Thereafter (1993) he was given leadership of Savoury Ingredients, later on a business unit of Gist-brocades’ Food Specialties Division. In 1995, he was made director of that division and joined the Gist-brocades’ Executive Committee. Following the acquisition by DSM in 1998 he became Director of the business group DSM Food Specialties.
In 2000, Feike joined DSM’s Managing Board of Directors. He became CEO & Chairman of the Managing Board on May 1, 2007.
Current Supervisory directorships and other positions held:
- – member of the Supervisory Board of De Nederlandsche Bank, the Dutch Central Bank
- – board member CEFIC (European Chemical Industry Council)
- – member Advisory Board ECP-EPN (e-commerce) and RSM Erasmus University
- – member IMD Foundation Board (since 2007)
- – vice chairman Global Agenda Council Role of Business in Society World Economic Forum
Some Former supervisory directorships and other positions held:
- – board member Dutch Nutrition/Food Top-Institute (WCFS)
- – chairman & board member EuropaBio and BIO (European and US Biotechnology Association)
- – member Dutch Innovation Platform 2.0
- – member Supervisory Board Utrecht University and Dutch Genomics Initiative
Some Personal Awards
- – Dr. h.c. – University of Maastricht
- – Humanitarian of the Year Award & Leaders of Change Award – United Nations
- – George Washington Carver Award for Biotechnology – BIO